Frequently Asked Questions

Wildlife Removal and Control

  • Do you charge to come out?
    Yes. We are a private company and we do charge for our services. Normally, there is a standard service fee to arrive on-site to provide consultation and an inspection of the premises. After assessing your situation, we will make recommendations to solve the problem and discuss any other charges that may be necessary.
  • What if I have an animal running through my house?
    We provide emergency services during regular business hours, after normal hours, on weekends and holidays. However, emergency response does demand a higher service fee. For example, we consider an animal in the living space of your home or business as an emergency. In most cases, a scheduled appointment the next day will normally suffice.
  • Are You Licensed and Insured?
    Yes. We are licensed by the Pennsylvania Game Commission, the New York State DEC and the New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife to perform wildlife damage control activities. Also, for the protection of our clients, we carry a $1 million liability insurance coverage policy. We will gladly furnish proof of both upon request.
  • Do I need a permit to capture wildlife in NY, NJ & PA?
    Yes and no. Anyone who attempts to trap or capture wildlife in New York and Pennsylvania must have a permit from the New York State DEC and/or the Pennsylvania Game Commission, or be subject to fines and penalties. No permit is required in New Jersey. Some species, however, carry special protection and NO trapping is allowed. Once we determine your problem, we will advise you of your options and keep you legal.
  • Where can I get a Depredation Permit and how much do they cost?
    As a Wildlife Damage Control Agent, Fur & Feathers Wildlife Control can issue a permit if we find evidence of damage and loss. In addition, any NYSDEC, PA Game Commission and New Jersey Div. of Fish & Wildlife staff – biologists, enforcement officers, etc. – can also issue permits. Upon qualification, depredation permits are FREE to all NY, NJ, and PA residents and property owners.

    Permits for Federally Protected Species are issued by the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service and normally require a processing fee, an application describing the problem; your on-going, non-lethal control efforts; and a justification for your request. All migratory birds, such as waterfowl, songbirds, woodpeckers, gulls, etc., are protected under the Migratory Bird Act of 1918 and require a federal permit. We can assist you with your application and control justifications.
  • Once you capture an animal, what do you do with it?
    First, it will be handled in a manner to protect both the animal and our staff from unnecessary stress or injury. After that, all captured wildlife will be handled in strict accordance with regulations. Where permissible, some species may be relocated to a more rural setting. All species prohibited for relocation will be euthanized per established industry standards and disposed per guidelines.
  • Can I use pesticides or poison for wildlife control in NY, NJ and PA?
    No. Currently, no pesticides are registered for use on any species of wildlife regulated by the PA Game Commission, New York State DEC, and the New Jersey Division of Fish and Wildlife. However, some rodent and bird species classified as pests by the NY, NJ, & PA Dept. of Agriculture can be controlled by the use of pesticides. For all other animals, it is a violation of state law to poison any wildlife for any reason, and offenders are subject to fines, imprisonment or both. In addition, to use any chemical or pesticide inconsistent with its label instructions is a violation of Federal Law.